Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Honey Pecan Bars



My mom and I drove down to Alabama for a long weekend to visit my Grandmother for memorial day weekend.  I wanted to bake my Grandmother something but I had no idea what.  The only thing I had to go on is that she loves pecans and butter.  Initially I was going to make a pecan pie but I only had a deep dish plus I haven't mastered crust too well yet.  I searched and searched and finally found this recipe for Honey Pecan Triangles at Cookie Madness.  Honey, pecans, caramel on shortbread (of course made with LOTS of butter) were the main ingredients...perfect. 



My mom warned me that my grandmother doesn't like sweets so she told me not to get offended if she doesn't eat them...she could not have been more wrong.  Her and my Uncle were hoarding them on their plates! It was hilarious.  My mom ate 2 of them and then sneaked one for the car ride home!  Needless to say, these will be made time and time again.  My mom already decided they are going to be the new family tradition Christmas dessert. 

crust.
6 tablespoons softened butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour (I cut down on the flour a little bit, I only used 1 cup) 

filling.
14 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 ¾ cups toasted pecans and chopped (To toast pecans, just lay them out on a cookie sheet and bake for about 6 or 7 minutes at 375 degrees F)

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil or line with regular foil and spray with cooking spray.*
  2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
  3. Beat in the egg, then add the flour and stir until mixed.
  4. Press into bottom of baking pan and prick crust several times with a fork. Bake crust on center rack for 15 minutes, then let it cool for 20 minutes.
  5. To make the filling. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar and honey and gently boil for 2 minutes to dissolve the sugar, stirring once or twice.
  6. Add the cream and boil for about 30 seconds.
  7. Remove from heat and stir in the pecans. Pour over crust and bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
  8. Let bars sit at room temperature for at least an hour before cutting.
  9. Lift from pan, set on a cutting board, cut into 9 squares, then cut the squares diagonally into triangles. Makes 18
*I had a really hard time with the foil.  After it was done cooling I had to peel it off and it only came off in scrappings and took forever! I buttered the pan with butter instead of cooking spray so that may have been the problem although I don't see why.  I also cooled them in the fridge which maybe I shouldn't have done.  I feel like maybe parchment paper would work better, however; I'm not really sure that would lay in the pan nicely. The sides definitely need to be covered. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com