Wednesday, April 21, 2010

brewers blondies (made with whoppers!).

As promised in my last post, I got blondies.   This is a post from my other page.  If you feel so inclined, it is really awesome.  Check it out at www.andreascakebatter.com.  Unfortunately, Apple can be slightly power hungry so when I used iWeb, I have to post it through mobile me or I can't have many of the features that are available everywhere else on the internet.  Don't get me wrong, I love my MacBook and my iPhone, an Apple junkie I am...but, they still piss me off.  Anyway, I'm done ranting.  My old post below and the best blondie recipe ever:



So, I got a new cookbook this weekend and was so stoked to try it.  I’m sure you’ve heard of it, called “Baked: New Frontiers in Baking” by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.  I have to say, my first impression is quite amazing.  They call these “Brewer’s Blondies” as originally they used brewer’s malt to make these, and then of course adapted to people who don’t have access to that.  These things...I mean, wow.  I brought them into work so that I wouldn’t eat the whole batch of them, and they were literally gone in 35 minutes. And I put them out at 9:35 am. When I made them, the dough was super thick! I almost though something was wrong with the dough, it was almost the consistency of cookie dough. I considered not putting the walnuts in because I usually don’t like nuts in my food but I’m really really glad I did.  Make sure you toast them first, they add an amazing flavor to the bars.  My only complaint if I had one, would be that they were really really greasy, but then again, can there ever really be too much butter. I think not. 


blondies.
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons malted milk powder
14 tablespoonts unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 3/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs (room temp)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup malted milk balls (UM..whoppers), coarsely chopped in a food processor*
3/4 cup (9 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped **

*Since I am an unfortunate fool with no food processor, I put the Whoppers in a freezer weight zip lock bag and mashed them with a meat tenderizer.  It worked fabulous; good aggression reliever too (which I tend to have a lot of).

**I toasted mine in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes and they came out perfect

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and malted milk powder
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on the medium speed until completely combined.  Scrape down the bowl, add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined. 
  4. Add the flour mixture in two batches and beat until just combined.
  5. Add the malted milk balls, chocolate chips, and walnuts and beat until just combined (about 10 seconds).  The mixture is really thick.  
  6. Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and use and offset spatula to spread it evenly (Seriously use an offset spatula, the things are amazing, the batter doesn’t stick at all; super neat).
  7. Bake in the center of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the blondie comes out clean.
baking...
 

8.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes.  Try them warm. They are amazing! Reheat      them in the microwave for a few seconds after they cool, trust me, its worth your time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com