Thursday, April 22, 2010

leftovers: sour cream blueberry banana bread



So I was really stoked to make angel food cake the past few days and just haven't been able to get around to it. My brother-in-law is in town, so I was hanging out with him, plus Glee was on last night and I was not going to miss that, not to mention I am taking 2 classes and working 11 hour days at my job, 13 hour days if you count my commute. Needless to say, while my life is passing by at record speeds, I've got almost rotting bananas, sour cream, and blueberries that are waiting to be baked into something delicious...hence, sour cream blueberry banana bread. Based on the circumstances, I think I am going to call it "my life is out of hand and I am about to have a minor meltdown bread"...heh, just kidding. I think I'm just tired.


Needless to say, I did a Google search for all of the over ripe items in my fridge and found sour cream blueberry banana bread from a website called bakespace.com. The woman who posted the recipe said she got it from Cooks.com. There was no picture attached but the recipe sounded completely fine to me and I was determined to use up the ingredients I had So here it is, sour cream blueberry banana bread, pictures and all.

 sour cream blueberry banana bread.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 1 tsp...cinnamon is good.)
1 cup buttered, softened
3/4 cup sugar*
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup pecans ( I omitted these, as I said before, I don't really like nuts in my food)

*In hindsite, I would probably add a little bit more sugar.  The bananas made the bread sweet enough, but I prefer sweeter. 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Grease and flour a 9x5" bread pan
  3. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy
  4. Add the eggs, banana, and sour cream.  Beat until well blended.
  5. Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low speed, until batter is smooth
  6. Fold in the blueberries and walnuts
  7. Bake for 1 hour*
*My oven usually bakes things faster than what a recipe calls for, but I actually had this bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  I was so nervous that the top was going to be too well done but this bread is really heavy and the darker crust was a nice touch.  It was like a container for the moist delicousness inside. 


Want more blueberry recipes? Try my Blueberry and Cream Cupcakes.

2 comments:

Reeni said...

What a delicious bread! Blueberries and sour cream are such a lovely flavor combo.

Hazen Nicole said...

So yummy! I took your advice and added a whole teaspoon of cinnamon and a whole cup of sugar. I also added about a quarter teaspoon of sweet almond extract. I ended up having to bake the loaf for an hour and twenty minutes simply because it was still gooey after an hour! It turned out perfect! My husband liked it so much he demanded another loaf so I dragged him into the kitchen with me. We used raspberries instead of blueberries, and he managed to convince me to let him add two more bananas (more like he added them before I could stop him). I also baked this one for 1:20 and it turned out great too. Thanks for inspiring fun in the kitchen!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com