Wednesday, April 21, 2010

walnut streusal cinnamon swirl banana muffins.



I know I am supposed to be transferring over my recipes from my other website that is now out of commission, but I had a bunch of over-ripe bananas lying around and I just had to get them out of my house.  So ladies and gentlemen, I bring you, the first recipe I have ever created on my own.  I will warn you, I am by no means a master baker nor am I creative for that matter, but I had this idea so I just went for it.  I was pretty impressed with the outcome.  These have more of a cupcake consistency than a muffin, honestly.  They are very light and fluffy for a muffin.  The dough was sticky, almost like it was about to be bread dough. . Oh and um...the measurements are a little off.  I had a lot of extra cinnamon and sugar mixture, and a lot of extra streusal, so you may want to adjust those down a little bit.



streusal*.
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts toasted**
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Mix  all ingredients together using a fork or your hands.  That's it. Piece of cake. Piece of crumb cake. 

  

*I call this streusel, honestly, I don't even know what streusel means, but I'm pretty sure this is it.  Please feel free to call me out if its not.
**I really hate nuts.  But after biting the bullet and putting toasted walnuts in the Blondies I made (I will post that recipe soon...amazing), my life is changed for ever.  Please don't slide over this step and not toast them, it brings out a fabulous flavor. 

cinnamon swirl.
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix sugar and cinnamon together; set aside. 

muffins.
 3-4 bananas mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1 cup buttermilk

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Line a standard cupcake pan with papers
  3. Mix first 6 ingredients  (up to vanilla) together until well blended
  4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt
  5. Beat in the flour mixture alternatively with the buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture
  6. Fill muffin papers 1/3 full of mixture
  7. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar in a layer over batter 
  8. Fill muffin papers the rest of the way (about 2/3 full) 
  9. Cover top of muffins with streusel.  Push it into the batter a little bit with your fingers, so it stays on when they rise.
  10. Bake 20-25 minutes (mine took 22)  - I only made 12, it would probably make about 18 otherwise*



*I had some extra batter left so instead of  making more muffins, I opted to see how this would work as a bread/cake.  I greased a 9x5 inch bread pan and poured the batter in there and baked for about 40-45 minutes.  It came out beautifully.  I think this would honestly work best as a cake, but I guess it doesn't really matter, its all going to the same place in the end.

Want more Cinnamon recipes? Try my Snickerdoodle recipe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com