Wednesday, April 21, 2010

cinnamon sugar snickerdoodle cookies.



Snickerdoodles.  I’ve been dying to make these.  Apparently they are a common “childhood” favorite, however; I don’t believe they ever took part in mine.  But I mean, cinnamon and sugar coated sugar cookie (essentially), how can that turn out bad? Initially, I was a little disappointed in the outcome of these.  Maybe my expectations were set too high as I am sitting here on a Thursday night, 80 degrees in DC in the middle of April and raining...working on that silver lining, but I wasn’t thaat impressed, initially.  They did grow on me though.  Not sure I would use this recipe again for this cookie but I am now set out to find a perfect snickerdoodle cookie, no offense Martha Stewart.

snickerdoodles.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
     1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 TBSP (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup pure vegetable shortening (the solid stuff)
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 TBSP ground cinnamon
2 large eggs

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper*.
  2. Sift (or whisk) together flour, cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, shortening and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
  4. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
  5. Add eggs and beat to combine.
  6. Add dry ingredients and beat to combine.
  7. In a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon.  
  8. Use a small ice cream scoop** to form balls of dough and roll in cinnamon sugar. 
  9. Place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, rotating cookie sheets at 5 min***.

 


10. Transfer to wire rack to cool.





I used one batch with parchment paper and one without.  I had nonstick baking sheets and the parchment paper made no difference, just turned slightly crisp.  Which is fine, if thats how you like your parchment paper, not necessary though.

** Small ice cream scoop? I don’t even know what that means.  I used my fingers and got exactly 24 cookies which is what she got.  Guess I’m just good at sizing up balls...ha.

*** I baked the first batch for 10 minutes and they burned.  The bottoms were actually black.  I baked the 2nd batch for 7 minutes and they weren’t black, but still pretty dark.  I imagine these could be done at 5-6 minutes depending on your oven, just keep an eyeball on them. 



4 comments:

Jenny and Aaron's Baby Blog said...

Just came across your blog. Very enjoyable! I too am loving my Baked cookbook.
I thought I'd share my snickerdoodle recipe with you since I'm one of those people who LOVE them! I think it's pretty fabulous.

1 C. butter
1 1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 C. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Stir in dry ingredients. Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll balls into sugar mixture.

Sugar mixture is 1 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon (I usually triple this so I get a nice coating over the entire cookie)

Place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 min. Allow cookies to set 1-2 min. before removing.

I hope you enjoy them.

Andrea said...

Yay! Thank you so much! I am going to try them this weekend. Can't wait to try them...have been craving a good snickerdoodle.

AnickH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnickH said...

thats my favorite snicker doodle recipe also. the one that "jenny and aarons baby blog " posted its sooooo good

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com