Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chocolate: Mother's Day Chocolate Mint Oreo Truffles


I know, I know, its not Mother's day yet but I wanted to post this truffle recipe in case anybody felt like making Oreo truffles for their Mom for Mother's Day.  Chocolate Mint Truffles.  The name sounds so difficult but they are ridiculously easy.  I only have one picture to post so far but I will get more up when I am finished. I am actually in the process of making them right now.  I made a couple of truffles last night after I mixed the batter but I got too tired. Hence, my 1 sucky picture.


Speaking of, the last few posts my pictures have kind of sucked.  It is probably going to be like that for a while.  My brand new camera wouldn't turn on last week so I had to send it back to Amazon...so annoying.  So I had been using my Canon Elf which was taking horrible pictures and then, I got rid of my iPhone because apple ticked me off and I have actually been using the camera on my new blackberry.  I hate this Blackberry but the pictures it takes are actually better than my old camera, how crazy is that! My last few posts with the Guacamole and Cucumber Mint Cooler and Pita chips, they were all taken with my blackberry camera.  Crazy.



Anyway, here is a great mother's day gift, super easy and insanely good. The recipe is all over the internet so I have no idea where it actually originated from.  People have used Strawberry Oreo's, and Regular Oreo's.  You can cover them with various colors of chocolate, or white chocolate and decorate them however you want.  Time to be creative.  I got away easy because my Mom hates white chocolate, so I kept mine simple and covered them with dark chocolate (60% Cacao) and threw on a few sprinkles for decoration.  Enjoy!



oreo truffles.
1 package Oreo cookies (any flavor, I used mint)
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened*
chocolate chips or bark chocolate or melting wafers (for coating)
sprinkles, oreo cookie crumbs, mini m&ms or anything else you might want to use to decorate

*If you don't have time to let your cream cheese soften at room temperature, put it in the microwave for 10 second increments.  It should soften pretty quickly.


  1. Grind Oreos into fine crumbs in a food processor (set some aside for sprinkling on top if you wish)
  2. Add cream cheese and mix until combined.  Dough should come together in one big lump.  It will feel greasy and won't stick to your hands when you touch it.
  3. Roll into balls about a size of a quarter.  I made mine much bigger and I think they are too big, but whatever, they still taste good. 
  4. Chill for about 45 minutes in the fridge (less time if you put them in the freezer), until they are solid.
  5. Melt chocolate in a small but deep bowl* the microwave, taking out to stir every 30 seconds.  Or if you got the melting chocolates, melt them according to the directions on the package.
  6. Roll balls in melted chocolate until they are completely coated.  Pull them out with a fork or slotted spoon and place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  At this point you can put sprinkles or cookie crumbs on them or any other type of decoration. Let chill until chocolate is completely set.
*This is just something I came across when I was trying them last night.  I used a shallow bowl and it was kind of annoying to have to roll them all over the place just to get them coated.  I imagine it would be much easier if the bowl was deep and narrow and you could just plop them in there and pull them out. 

**I also tried this variation with a couple of them.  I saw Bakerella did this with her cake bites and I think it will work here too.  She shaped some into the shape of a hershey kiss.  After the chocolate set, she wrapped them in tin foil and made messages in strips on her computer and created a large Hershey kiss.  How cute is that! I tried it with a couple, I will let you know how they turn out.

*I told you I'd let you know how the kiss truffles turn out.  Heh.  Well, not good enough to post a picture.  I think I need some practice with the kisses. I will work on those for next time.  






1 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

cream cheese and oreo's what a great combination...I never thought of that! thanks for sharing such a wonderful truffle recipe!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com