Friday, May 21, 2010

Lemon Lemon Loaf or in my terms 'Lemon Glazed Pound Cake'



Yea, so this is another 'Baked' recipe.  I'm sorry.  I feel like most of my recipes have come from this book lately but I just can't help it.  The recipes are SO good.  Maybe I'll be like that girl in Julie and Julia and bake everything in their book, I mean, I'm well on my way.  The only difference is I don't have the dedication or the concentration to post everyday AND bake every day. I mean, that's a lot of work. 

Anyway, I'd give the recipe...ehhhh, a 7.  It was good but a little dry.  I'm not really sure after 8 eggs and 1 POUND of butter how it was dry, but it was.  They say that lemon glaze on the top is optional...not in my book.  That stuff was awesome.  I ended up eating the top of the cake everytime and leaving the rest of my slice on the plate. HAHA.

                                     
                                    


lemon cake.
1 1/2 cups cake flour.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups sugar
8 large eggs
1/4 cup grated lemon zest (about 4 lemons)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup sour cream (room temp)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

lemon syrup.
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar

lemon glaze. (they say optional, I say not)
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
4 to 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice

for the cake.

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the sides and bottom of two 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.  Line the bottom with parchment paper.
  2. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
  3. In a food processor (YAY, I could complete this step because I actually have one now), blend sugar, eggs, lemon rind and lemon juice. 
  4. Slowly add melted butter and vanilla through the spout at the top and pulse until combined.
  5. Fold flour mixture into lemon/sugar mixture until just combined.  Do not over mix.
  6. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pans and cook for 20 minutes, rotating pans half way through cycle.
  7. Turn temperature down to 325 degrees F. and continue to bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  8. While loaf is baking, prepare lemon syrup:
    1. Heat lemon juice and sugar in saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.  Continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
    2. Remove mixture from heat and set aside.
  9. Invert both loaves onto a cooling rack and poke with a toothpick over the top and sides of the loaves.
  10. Brush glaze over the loaves and let soak for about 5 minutes.
  11. If you are preparing the lemon glaze (which I strongly strongly recommend), combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice.  Mix and add more lemon juice or confectioners sugar (to thin or thicken the mixture) until you have reached the desired consistency.
  12. Drizzle mixture over the top of the loaves and let set for about 15 minutes.




  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com